Thursday, October 30, 2008

BBC denies 'homophobia'

The BBC denied it had been "homophobic" after a complaint was made to police about Have I Got News For You.

After discussing Iran's failure to make the world's biggest ostrich sandwich, guest host Alexander Armstrong said: "On the plus side they do still hold the record for hanging homosexuals."

A BBC spokeswoman said: "The presenter never intended for this comment to be homophobic - quite the opposite."

Another aggrieved minority so determined to be offended that they can't tell the difference between an attack on them and one on their, and our, enemies. Very worrying.

2 comments:

MadPriest said...

Oh, this is just plain daft. I saw this and it was definitely empathetic irony.

However, I wonder if the complainant was gay or one of those awful social worker types who "feel" the pain of suicide bombers and insist that thieving chavs in caravans are true Romanies.

Anonymous said...

I don't leave this as a comment for your blog but as a way of getting in touch. I noticed that you left a comment on contra mundum a good while ago and I responded and havn't heard anything. It was about DZ Phillips, the philosopher of religion. You said that you had some recordings of him and I thought it would be good for us to get these posted on the internet as a youtube video. I am an old graduate student of his from Swansea. If you want to chat about this please contact me on i.laite@btinternet.com